Saturday, 25 July 2009

Vide Greniers a part of French Life

Vide Greniers a part of French Life

Latest publication on HubPages giving a little bit of insight into French Life via a trip to a Vide Grenier in the Midi Pyrenees.

It was an interesting day out and great for the shopaholics out there.

Go take a look see what it is all about and to find out a little more more about French Life

Thursday, 23 July 2009

Travel Insurance and Swine Flu

There is an ever increasing number of confirmed Swine Flu cases around the world so it is very important to ensure you have the right travel insurance before you book your trip just in case anyone contracts the disease.

Your Questions answered by Insurance Choice:
  • Medical expenses and repatriation cover whilst overseas.
    Insurance Choice policies will cover medical costs and, should it be necessary, will get you home if you contract swine flu whilst overseas.
  • Cancellation cover if you catch swine flu before you travel.
    Insurance Choice policies will offer cancellation cover if you get swine flu before you travel and it is deemed necessary to cancel your trip.

  • Cancellation cover if the Foreign & Commonwealth Office ( FCO) suddenly advise against travel.
    If the FCO advise against travel to a specific country you were due to visit, you can make a claim for any unused travel or accommodation costs you are unable to get back from your tour operator or issuing agent.

  • Curtailment cover following a government directive recommending evacuation from a country or area.
    Insurance Choice policies will cover the cost of getting you home and reimburse any unused travel and accommodation costs if the government is recommending evacuation from the country or area where you are staying.

  • No cover for 'disinclination to travel'
    If the FCO are not advising against travel to your chosen destination, you will not be covered for cancellation if you simply choose not to travel.

  • No cover if you travel against FCO advice
    If the FCO are advising against travel to your chosen destination you will not be covered if you choose to travel.

Remember that Travel Insurance policies do not cover any individual for travel to countries which the FCO and/or WHO advises against all but essential travel. For your own safety, you should always check the status of the country to which you are travelling by visiting that country information page on the FCO website.

Monday, 20 July 2009

Holiday Destinations - Beziers France

Holiday Destinations - Beziers France

We had not really ventured close to Beziers until just recently and didn't realise just how nice a city it was.

Well that changed when we had to do an airport run out that way and we spotted the bridges over the River Orb, the wonderful cathedral perched on the hill and the Canal du Midi just thrown in for free.

Quite fitting really as Pierre-Paul Riquet the architect of the Canal du Midi was a native of Beziers, so as to be expected a lot of his presence in and around the city, and rightly so.

Check it out in more detail on HubPages

Wednesday, 15 July 2009

Self Employment in France - Auto Entrepreneur

2009 has become the year for anyone looking for self employment in France and the reason why is the introduction of the 'Auto Entrepreneur System' which allows individuals to register and start a business where instead of paying tax on an assumed income, which may or may not be realised, you only pay tax on actual earnings.

It was pretty clear under the old regime that working on the black market was a temptation many could not resist because of the uncertainty surrounding whether you would actually earn any money from a new enterprise and potentially having to pay tax on a business that didn't actually take off.

Not declaring your business and not paying tax is of course totally illegal and in my opinion not worth the risk so the introduction of this new system will be a godsend to many people, being self employed in France just got easier.

There are limitations on the new system, for instance your business must turn over less than €80,000 per year gross if you are selling products or providing catering and/or accommodation.

If you are providing a service, like website design or soft furnishings make up (but not supplying materials) then the turnover must be below €32,000 per year.

Tax can be declared and paid on a monthly or quarterly basis and the rate of tax is either 12% for those reselling products and 21.3% for those selling services (in simple terms). This is under the 'micro-social simplifie' system.

For the 'micro-fiscal simplify' system the percentage of turnover is 1% for those reselling products and 1.7% for those selling services.

So to cover your social and tax charges combined, resellers would pay a total of 13% and service providers would pay a total of 23%

You can apply to become an Auto Entrepreneur on line, the form is in French but is relatively straight forward to complete. I would only apply if you are sure that this is the best route for you, if you are not sure then it would be wise to seek the advice of an accountant before taking the plunge.

Both my wife and I live and work in the Languedoc Roussillon region of the South of France, my wife operates a Soft Furnishings Business and I operate a Website Design Business Either of us can be contacted via our websites and we both offer very affordable services in France with free, no obligation quotes.

Article Source:

Saturday, 11 July 2009

Holiday Destinations - Montpellier France

Holiday Destinations - Montpellier France

There is one thing for sure, if you take a holiday in France you will never be short of places to visit and go sightseeing, especially in the Languedoc Roussillon region.

We had a fabulous day out in Montpellier, the capital which I have written about on HubPages. Go and have a look, there are more photographs and information on the places of interest for you to look through.

French Theme Zazzle

View more personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Popular Posts